Bishop Jammo meets with Chaldean Priests in San Diego
for an updating of Pastoral Assignments
On July 16th 2007 Bishop Jammo held a dinner-meeting with his clergy of San Diego area and the neighborhood in his residence; he discussed several issues regarding the organization of clerical ministry and pastoral services. The meeting was attended by: Fr. Sabri Kejbo, Fr. Michael Bazzi, Fr. Paulos Khammi, Fr. Felix Shabi, Fr. Awraha (from the Chaldean Monks) and Fr. Andrew Younan. The assignments were updated as follows:
1. St. Peter’s
Cathedral -El Cajon: Clergy Assignments:
- Fr. Michael Bazzi – Rector of the Cathedral.
- Fr. Paulos Khammi - Prochial Vicar (for Chaldean and sodalities).
- Fr. Andrew Younan – Parochial Vicar (for English and youth ministry).
2. Pastoral Work in parishes and Missions:
a. St. Michael’s Church -El Cajon:
Entrusting Fr. Andrew to start a weekly English Mass every Saturday at 6.30 P.M. instead of the current Arabic Mass and holding the “Breath of Life” youth group meeting from now on in St. Michael’s Church Hall immediately after.
b. Fr. Felix is assigned atthe Eparchial Chancery to:
- Organize the Missions’ pastoral ministry.
- Take care of matrimonial juridical needs.
C. St. Barbara Mission – Las Vegas:
Renewal of Fr. Felix to administrate the Mission for one more year in collaboration with other priests and Missions Council.
D. Poway Mission: “St. Joseph Chaldean Mission”:
Appointing Fr. Felix to establish a new Mission in Poway area in collaboration with Fr. Awraha to perform weekly liturgical and pastoral services for our Chaldean families there.
3. Media Center: new collaboration to perform more effectively:
- Fr. Felix: General Director
- Fr. Awraha: Vice president
- Fr. Andrew: English section
- Fr. Paulos: Chaldean and Arabic writings
4. Liturgical Books: the bishop brought out the issue ofediting and translating the rites of all the seven Sacraments and other liturgical rites, especially the prayers of Sapra and Ramsha. The assignments were distributed as following:
- Fr. Felix: Committee Chairman
- Fr. Sabri, Fr. Paulos, Fr. Andrew, and Fr. Awraha: Collaborators.
5. Clergy contribution to the “Workers of the Vineyard” convent:
The bishop gave Fr. Awraha the mandate to work –along with Fr. Andrew- with our new Eparchial convent of consecrated women according to his monastic experience. The main assignment given by the bishop to them is the religious education of young people especially leading the catechism in St. Michael’s Church and other religious-education activities.
6. St. George Monastery:
a. Work in the Monastery: Assigning Fr. Awraha to establish the monastic and spiritual life in St. George’s Monastery.
b. Spiritual Retreats: for youth and other groups: Organizing and preparing for the retreats, formulating rules to follow in the new Monastery by visitors and pilgrims.
Fr. Felix Shabi
from St. Peter’s Chaldean
San Diego, CA